Make a difference...volunteer
Are you ready to make an impact on your community while gaining invaluable skills and experiences?
Join Gander Fire Rescue as a firefighter and become a vital part of a dedicated team committed to safeguarding lives and property. As a firefighter, you'll enjoy numerous benefits, both for your community and for yourself.
Benefits to the community
Fire Protection: Respond to fire incidents, rescue individuals from burning buildings, and suppress fires using specialized equipment and techniques.
Vehicular Crashes: Provide assistance to police and medical personnel at scenes of accidents, offering a well-rounded response to emergencies.
Hazardous Materials: Contribute to the containment of hazardous materials, ensuring a safer environment for everyone.
Community Support: Establish a stable and trustworthy relationship with residents, offering a dependable support system in times of crisis.
Educational Talks: Deliver safety talks to residents, children, and seniors, empowering citizens with knowledge about potential hazards and how to stay safe
First Aid Training: Gain first-aid training and the ability to perform emergency medical management; providing critical medical assistance until EMS arrive on the scene.
Benefits to you:
Career Advancement: Gain valuable workplace experience as a volunteer that can enhance your career prospects in various fields. Additionally, volunteers gain specialized driving skills on Fire Service vehicles.
Resume Boost: Showcase your commitment and responsibility through respectable volunteer work, enhancing your resume and standing out to potential employers - including Level 1/2 Firefighter, Pump Operator, Hazardous Materials Management, Fire Services Instructor and more...
First-Aid Training: Acquire essential first-aid skills that can benefit your future career choices and be applied in everyday situations.
Crisis Management Skills: Develop knowledge and skills to confidently handle dangerous situations, both in emergencies and real-life scenarios.
Community Connection: Forge strong connections within your community, building relationships that extend beyond emergency response.
Personal Fulfillment: Experience a profound sense of purpose and fulfillment by making a positive impact on those in need.
Friendship Bonds: Form lasting friendships and bonds with fellow firefighters who share your commitment to service.
Responsibilities and expectations:
Firefighters at Gander Fire Rescue play a critical role and should be prepared for various challenges:
- Collaborate effectively as a team member during incidents of uncertain duration.
- Endure extended periods outdoors in diverse weather conditions.
- Perform physically demanding tasks in diverse conditions and environments, while wearing protective gear.
- Operate in various weather conditions and environments, such as rooftops and ladders.
- Tackle tasks at extreme heights and confined spaces, ensuring safety for all.
- Handle personal protective equipment weighing approximately 50 lbs. during firefighting duties.
- Practice mindfulness when encountering potential hazards.
- Rely on your senses to make crucial decisions in chaotic, high-pressure situations.
Ready to make a difference?
Join Gander Fire Rescue as a firefighter and become part of a close-knit team dedicated to saving lives, supporting the community, and fostering personal growth. Your commitment will leave a lasting impact, and your experiences will shape you into a stronger, more resilient individual. Take the first step toward a rewarding journey with Gander Fire Rescue!
- Must be a resident of the Town of Gander.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a Valid Driver’s License.
- Highschool Diploma or equivalent.
- Clear court and criminal record check (You can and should apply for your criminal record check immediately as your acceptance will depend on our receipt of a clear background check).
- Must be able to meet physical fitness requirements (FPAT) Requirement document enclosed..
- Please fill out and return the Application Form to Gander Fire Rescue.
Sign up to our Newsletter
Stay up to date on the Town's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.